Friday, August 1, 2008

A grin from ear to ear


I sit here trying to think of what to write while at the same time I just want to shout. I think I'll choose the later. I am pleased to announce that my soldier is wheels down in Italy! Yeah baby....Hot diggity dog!
I guess I will actually be able to sleep through the night at last. Alex never called me from Manis so I hadn't received my long awaited "wheels up" call from him but thats O.K. He called and said "Hey Dad, guess where I am" I swear I was jumping up and down in my office. The office must have thought I went over the deep end. When I got off the phone with him I let out a huge and long sigh of relief and man that felt great.

You know on refection of the past 15 months, it has been this Blog and a few others ( You all know who you are ) that have kept me sane. I think I will continue this Blog even while Alex is in Italy now. He did re-up to stay with the Herd and last I heard Alex was approached by his N.C.O. asking Alex if he wanted to transfer to one of the line units. He explained that by doing so Alex would operate I believe ( it's been a very long time since I've served ) a M224 60mm mortar system as opposed to the 120mm mortar system. He also mentioned that Alex would move up in rank a lot faster. I have mixed feelings about this but then again when I reflect back in the day when I was serving I went full out so I suppose I can understand my son in his thinking. I remember the day we were at the recruiters office and they gave him his MOS ( Job ) options from Artillery to re-arming gunships and he said "Hell no, if I am going to do this I am going to do it right, put me in as an 11B
Airborne Infantry" his recruiter didn't want him to do it but Alex insisted. I still stay in touch with his recruiter, he is a pretty good guy and father.

Well, I guess this will be the turning point of my Blog now that our guy's are back in Europe. I promise never to forget those that have
fallen. It really has been a hard deployment but even more difficult for many families who will not hear those great words "Hey Dad, guess where I am"

Relieved,

Larry Arnone
San Francisco


AKA Bluestardad ( and I want to keep it that way )
Publish Post

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HURRAY! HURRAY! HURRAY!

Larry I am so thrilled to read this post.

Don't drop the blog. We've got much to tell the world about these amazing Soldiers!

Now I'm off to toast to Alex's being back in Italy!